Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Collins Wants Bush's Help

Via The Politico:

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) hesitated. She abandoned her thought mid-sentence and sighed.

It was the question: Would she accept assistance from President Bush for her 2008 reelection campaign?

"Oh, jeez," Collins said. "I don't anticipate ... well, who knows? I really haven't focused on that, but my general view is, anyone who legally wants to help raise money ..."
(Emphasis added.)

In short, Collins' opinion about a Bush fundraiser in Maine?

Bring it on.

(An aside: Does the junior senator really want to go on the record expressing her willingness to accept fundraising help from literally anyone who can legally raise funds? Because my hunch is that David Duke is probably available.)

To be serious for a moment, I think her refusal to cut the cord with Bush--in spite of all her recent tsk-tsking--reveals more about her true attitudes toward the man than her campaign might have liked.

No comments: