Thursday, April 15, 2010

Soldiering On

It seemed for a brief moment like Sen. Collins might be breaking with her obstructionist GOP colleagues on financial reform. Think again:

"If the letter says I don't support the bill, I am happily going to sign it. I am still talking with my colleagues about whether a letter is the most effective way to send the message, or whether there are better ways, and those discussions are still ongoing. I agree with my colleagues that the Dodd bill is deeply flawed. But, as a former financial regulator, I also feel strongly that the current system is very flawed. We need a financial regulatory bill, just not this one."
When have we heard that kind of empty rhetoric before?

UPDATE: More:

Collins said that she supports some of the provisions in the bill. However, she said she has concerns about Senate Democratic leaders cutting off bipartisan talks after White House officials intervened.

Collins has said that she would like bipartisan talks to continue, but she does not want to box herself in on the issue.
Got that?

No comments: