Saturday, October 11, 2008

Conservation Voters

Just a few days ago, Planned Parenthood stood up and told the truth to Mainers about Sen. Collins' record.

And yesterday's, a "who's who" of Maine environmentalists--led by Dan Amory, Board Chair of the Maine League of Conservation Voters (LCV)--endorsed Rep. Allen.

So what to make of the fact that LCV itself has yet to weigh in on the race?

Remember, Allen has a lifetime LCV rating of 93% compared to 68% for Collins.

And Collins voted for the Cheney energy bill that LCV called the "most anti-environment bill signed into law in recent memory."

Now, if I was in charge of choosing between two candidates for valedictorian, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the A student who passed the most important test of the year--not the D student who flunked it.

But maybe that's just me.

I spoke to the Maine LCV yesterday, and was told that the national LCV is in charge of endorsements in federal races--the local chapter has no say. (An odd way of doing things?)

So I've put in a call to the LCV headquarters in Washington to find out their thoughts on the Senate race in Maine. Still waiting for a return call.

No comments: